The U.S. Soccer Foundation, MLS Players Union and Jefferson Academy will unveil a new state-of-the-art mini pitch at Jefferson Academy in Washington, D.C. on Monday, May 4, 2015 to many of the local Washington, DC area youth. The U.S. Soccer Foundation, the major charitable arm of soccer in the United States, is a leader in sports-based youth development and strives to use soccer as a vehicle for social change in urban areas across the country.
Support for the project was provided by the U.S. Soccer Foundation; the MLS Players Union, which serves as the exclusive collective bargaining representative for all current players in Major League Soccer; and, Jefferson Academy, one of the most outstanding middle schools in Washington, D.C. In addition, Musco Lighting, a company specializing in the design and manufacture of sports and large area lighting solutions around the world, donated the lights for the new the mini pitch which are scheduled to be installed in May 2015. Other community partners and organizations involved with the implementation of this mini pitch are DC SCORES, DC Public Schools and the D.C. Mayor’s Office. DC SCORES will hold programming on this new space for D.C. Public School students. DC SCORES also partners with the Foundation to provide the Soccer for Success program to area youth, while training motivated adults, including D.C. Public School teachers to run the program – providing each student direct access to a trusted mentor.
The opening will include a short remarks from the U.S. Soccer Foundation’s President & CEO Ed Foster-Simeon, MLS Players Union’s Executive Director Bob Foose and Jefferson Academy’s Principal Natalie Gordon; a ceremonial kick, and an opportunity for kids to play their first game on the pitch.
- Local Washington, DC youth
- Special guests scheduled to attend include:
- Ed Foster-Simeon – President & CEO, U.S. Soccer Foundation
- Natalie Gordon – Principal, Jefferson Academy
- Laura Marks – Chief of Staff, Councilmember Charles Allen
- Bobby Boswell –Defender, D.C. United
- Eddie Pope – Former U.S. Men’s National Team member & Dir. of Player Relations, MLS Players Union
- Miriam Kenyon, Director of Health and PE, DCPS
- Musco Lighting (invited)
- D.C. Mayor’s Office (invited)
Monday, May 4, 2015│11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- 11:30 a.m. Field Opening ceremony
- 11:50 a.m. Ceremonial kick and photo opportunity
- 12:00 p.m. Kids play first match
- 12:05 p.m. Media availability
801 7th Street SW
Washington, D.C. 20024
MEDIA CONTACT: Media interested in attending the unveiling, conducting interviews or receiving event photos must contact Eleanor Arlook at Eleanor@MaroonPR.com.