The New York Red Bulls, the U.S. Soccer Foundation, and NYC Parks will make an official announcement of a collaboration to provide both critical afterschool programming and a safe place to play for New York City youth. New York Red Bulls leadership and players, U.S. Soccer Foundation leadership, the NYC Parks Commissioner, along with representatives from the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD), East Side Community High School, Sport Court and University Settlement, will break ground on a Sport Court mini-pitch that will be built through this collaboration. In addition to building a new pitch, the New York Red Bulls and U.S. Soccer Foundation will impact local youth through the Foundation’s Soccer for Success afterschool program – a proven model which utilizes soccer as a tool for social change. Currently, Soccer for Success, run in partnership with DYCD, engages close to 3,000 youth in 50 sites across New York City.
In addition to a short groundbreaking ceremony, local youth will participate in a Soccer for Success practice and an autograph and photo session with New York Red Bulls players in attendance.
Dozens of local youth
Special guests scheduled to attend and available for interviews include:
- Marc de Grandpre: General Manager, New York Red Bulls
- Ed Foster-Simeon: President & CEO, U.S. Soccer Foundation
- Mitchell J. Silver, FAICP: Commissioner, NYC Parks
- Mike Grella: Player, New York Red Bulls
- Andrew Jean-Baptiste: Player, New York Red Bulls
- Connor Lade: Player, New York Red Bulls
- Sean Davis: Player, New York Red Bulls
Monday, March 16, 2015│3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- 3:30pm Groundbreaking Ceremony
- 3:45pm Photo Opportunity
- 4:00pm Soccer for Success Practice
Lower East Side Playground
420 E. 12th St
MEDIA CONTACT: Media interested in attending the groundbreaking, conducting interviews or receiving event photos can reach out to one of the media contacts listed.
U.S. Soccer Foundation