The U.S. Soccer Foundation, the major charitable arm of soccer in the United States will host the third annual Capital Soccer Classic on Tuesday, April 14, 2015, at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. The premier soccer event, presented by NIKE, will kick off with a round robin tournament of embassies, followed by a Congressional soccer match and tournament for Capitol Hill staffers.
The Classic, a free all-ages event with activities and refreshments for adults and children, will benefit Soccer for Success – the Foundation’s free afterschool program that uses soccer as a tool to address children’s health issues and juvenile delinquency, while promoting healthy lifestyles in underserved communities. Former U.S. National Team members, as well as current D.C. United and Washington Spirit players will be onsite signing autographs and taking fan photos.
Members of Congress and the Congressional Soccer Caucus, representatives from several embassies, former U.S. National Team players, and speakers/partners/sponsors of the Classic, including:
- Embassies: Argentina, Australia, China, European Union, Netherlands, Russia, Spain, and the U.S. State Department
- Rep. Suzanne Bonamici (Oregon)
- Rep. Kathy Castor (Florida)
- Rep. Mike Coffman (Colorado)
- Rep. Trey Gowdy (South Carolina)
- Rep. Ann McLane Kuster (New Hampshire)
- Rep. Erik Paulsen (Minnesota)
- Rep. Dave Reichert (Washington)
- Senator Tim Scott (South Carolina)
- Rep. Eric Swalwell (California)
- Rep. Todd Young (Indiana)
- Cindy (Parlow) Cone – Two-time Olympic gold medalist, member of the 1999 World Cup champion U.S. Women’s National Team
- Andrew Dykstra – Current player with D.C. United, named USL Goalkeeper of the year in 2013
- Cobi Jones – Former member of the U.S. Men’s National Team, member of the National Soccer Hall of Fame, all-time leader in appearances with the USMNT (Tentatively available for in-studio media on 4/14)
- Lori Lindsey – Former member of the U.S. Women’s National Team, Olympian, and former member of the Washington Spirit (Tentatively available for in-studio media on 4/14)
- Ben Olsen – Current head coach of D.C. United, 211 appearances as a player with D.C. United
- Eddie Johnson (Announcer) – Former member of the U.S. Men’s National Team and former member of FC Sounder, Seattle Sounders FC and D.C. United
- Sebastian Salazar (Announcer) – Reporter/Anchor/Host for Comcast Sportsnet Mid-Atlantic
- Partners/Sponsors: Nike – The Official Sponsor of the Capital Soccer Classic; The Hill – The Official Print Media Partner of the Capital Soccer Classic; WAMU 88.5 – The Official Radio Partner of the Capital Soccer Classic; Volkswagen; Amazon; Oracle; PepsiCo; Allstate; NBCUniversal – Comcast; Congressional Federal; Continental; and Johnson & Johnson
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 │5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- 5:00 p.m. – Embassy Tournament featuring representatives from different countries all over the globe
- 6:30 p.m. – Congressional Soccer Match
- 7:30 p.m. – Congressional Staffer Tournament
**MEDIA: Media interested in attending the 2015 Capital Soccer Classic or interviewing selected athletes in-studio may contact Eleanor Arlook
at Eleanor@MaroonPR.com or 443-979-3899.
RFK Stadium, 2400 East Capitol Street SE, Washington, DC 20003
The Classic is free and open to the public.
For additional information on the Classic, please visit capitalsoccerclassic.org
About the U.S. Soccer Foundation
The U.S. Soccer Foundation is a recognized leader in sports-based youth development programs for children in underserved, urban communities. Since its founding in 1994, the organization has provided more than $100 million in funding to create and sustain innovative programs across all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Proven to deliver positive health and social outcomes, the Foundation’s affordable initiatives offer safe environments in which both boys and girls thrive. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the U.S. Soccer Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization. Visit http://www.ussoccerfoundation.org to learn more.
U.S. Soccer Foundation