In partnership with the LA Galaxy, the new mini-pitch located at Andrew Jackson Elementary School, is part of a commitment made by adidas, MLS WORKS, Southern New Hampshire University and the U.S. Soccer Foundation to build 20 mini-pitches in underserved communities across North America. Each new mini-pitch will offer children in these communities a safe place to play, while providing a soccer environment that encourages unstructured play, supporting the continued growth of the game.
Following the official dedication, local participants from the Santa Ana Police Athletic and Activity League and LA Galaxy players will participate in a small-sided match on the new pitch. Since September 2007, the SAPAAL and Jackson Elementary have partnered to engage over 1,100 students daily with consistent and rigorous physical fitness programming. This partnership has resulted in Jackson students posting the top California Physical Fitness Test scores in the entire school district, year after year. In collaboration with SAPAAL, the LA Galaxy will incorporate soccer programs and clinics at the new mini-pitch to continue serving children throughout the Santa Ana community.
WHO: The ceremony will include short remarks from:
• Dr. Rick Miller – Superintendent of Santa Ana Unified School District
• Marisela Longacre – Principal, Andrew Jackson Elementary School
• Chris Klein – President, LA Galaxy
• Dr. Paul LeBlanc – President, Southern New Hampshire University
• Ed Foster-Simeon – President & CEO, U.S. Soccer Foundation
• Officer Kenney Aguilar – Director, Santa Ana Police Athletic & Activity League
• Cecilia Iglesias – Board Member of Santa Ana Unified School District
Special guests include:
• Giovani dos Santos, LA Galaxy
• Lauren Nowinski, Director Community Relations, LA Galaxy & LA Galaxy Foundation
• Brendan Hannan, Vice President, Marketing, Communication and Digital, LA Galaxy
• Jamaal Layne, Senior Manager for City Activation, Los Angeles, adidas North America
VISUALS: Local Santa Ana boys and girls taking ceremonial first kick with players and executives. 20 boys and girls playing in the first match on the new pitch. LA Galaxy players will serve as celebrity coaches.
WHEN: Friday, March 4, 2016│1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
WHERE: Andrew Jackson Elementary School
1143 South Nakoma Drive
Santa Ana, CA 92704
Media Contacts: Media interested in attending the mini-pitch unveiling to conduct interviews or receive event photos must contact Chris Glidden (firstname.lastname@example.org; 310-630-4623).
Kristin Lamas Patterson
Southern New Hampshire University
U.S. Soccer Foundation
Chief Communications Officer
Santa Ana Unified School District
(714) 673-4995 (cell)
Major League Soccer