Capital Soccer Classic
Soccer is the game that brings the Washington, D.C. community and the world together. Each year, the U.S. Soccer Foundation hosts the Capital Soccer Classic, a family-friendly charity event, featuring members of Congress and former professional soccer players, to support soccer-based programs that get children in underserved communities off of the streets and into safe environments that encourage physical activity and promote positive life skills.
2016 Capital Soccer Classic highlights
The 2016 Capital Soccer Classic featured an Embassy Tournament, the Congressional Soccer game and an exciting staffer tournament under the bright lights of RFK Stadium. Thank you to everyone who came out to support the event making it a huge success.
Check out the excitement of the 2016 Capital Soccer Classic in our event recap. Click Here>>
Take a look at some event photos to see, Members of Congress, some of your favorite current and former professional soccer players, Embassy participants and congressional staffers. Click Here>>
Stay tuned for information on next year’s Classic and other exiting opportunities with the U.S. Soccer Foundation by signing up for our newsletter.
take a look back at the 2015 Capital Soccer Classic
Former Capital Soccer Classic Participants:
Members of Congress:
- Representative Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR)
- Representative Kathy Castor (D-FL)
- Representative Rich Nugent (R-FL)
- Representative Erik Paulsen (R-MN)
- Representative Dave Reichert (R-WA)
- Representative Eric Swalwell (D-CA)
- Representative Todd Young (R-IN)
Current & former professional soccer players:
- André Akpan – Former Colorado Rapids, New York Red Bulls, and New England Revolution player
- Yael Averbuch – Current U.S. Women’s National Team player
- Cindy (Parlow) Cone - 2-time Olympic gold medalist, member of the 1999 World Cup champion U.S. Women's National Team
- Kim Crabbe – Former member of the U.S. Women’s National Team
- Andrew Dykstra - Current member of D.C. United, named USL Goalkeeper of the year in 2013
- Major Garrett – Chief White House Correspondent with CBS News, Correspondent at Large with the National Journal
- John Harkes – Current head coach of FC Cincinnati, former member of the U.S. Men’s National Team, member of the National Soccer Hall of Fame
- Ashlyn Harris – Current U.S. Women’s National Team player
- Cobi Jones - Former member of the U.S. Men's National Team, member of the National Soccer Hall of Fame, all-time leader in appearances with the USMNT
- Jürgen Klinsmann – Current head coach of the U.S. Men’s National Team, former player and 2006 German Football Manager of the Year
- Ali Krieger – Current U.S. Women’s National Team since 2008, starred in two World Cups (starting all 13 matches), helped lead USA to become the World Cup champions in 2015, and Washington Spirit player
- Lori Lindsey - Former member of the U.S. Women's National Team, Olympian, and former member of the Washington Spirit
- Joanna Lohman - Current member of the Washington Spirit
- John O’Brien – Former member of the U.S. Men’s National Team
- Devon McTavish - Former D.C. United player
- Janusz Michallik - Former member of the U.S. Men’s National Team
- Siri Mullinix - Former member of the U.S. Women’s National Team
- Ben Olsen - Current head coach of D.C. United, 211 appearances as a player with D.C. United
- Eddie Pope – Former member of the U.S. Men’s National Team, 143 appearances as a player with DC United
- Claudio Reyna – Director of football operations for New York City FC, former member of the U.S. Men’s National Team
- Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak – Olympic gold medalist, member of the 1999 U.S. Women’s World Cup Champion Team
- Briana Scurry – Two-time Olympic Gold Medalist, member of the 1999 U.S. Women’s World Cup Champion Team
- Zach Thornton – Current goalkeeper coach for D.C. United, and former U.S. Men’s National Team and MLS player
- Danielle Slaton – Former member of the U.S. Women’s National Team from 2000 to 2005, Silver Medalist at the 2000 Olympics and 3rd place finisher at the 2003 Women’s World Cup
- Juergen Sommer – Former member of the U.S. Men’s National Team, first American goalkeeper to play in the FA Premier League
- Jonathan Spector – Current member of the U.S. Men’s National Team, and former player with English Premier Leagues, Manchester United, West Ham United, and Birmingham City
- Tiffany Weimer - Current member of the Washington Spirit
- Staci Wilson – Olympic gold medalist, member of the 1996 World Cup champion U.S. Women’s National Team
- Ethan Zohn – Co-Founder of Grassroot Soccer, former professional soccer player
- European Union
- Great Britain
- New Zealand
- U.S. State Department
Thank you to our sponsors for their support of our work
and the 2016 Capital Soccer Classic!
Additional Sponsors Include
adidas, the Foundation's Safe Places to Play - Mini-Pitch Partner, supports providing children in underserved communities with safe play spaces nationwide. adidas strives to be the globally leading and most popular sporting goods brand. Dedicated to innovation, adidas embraces creativity and seeks to be socially responsible in all facets of its brand. For more information, please visit adidas.com.
APT (Advanced Polymer Technology), the Foundation’s Partner for Acrylic Coating Products, is a global leader in high performance sports surfaces. APT provides people around the world with safe, reliable, performance enhancing surfaces. APT’s Laykold Masters acrylic surfacing system will be the official surface of an estimated 500 mini-pitches. For more information on APT, please visit www.sportsbyapt.com.
For athletes and soccer enthusiasts, AstroTurf® is redefining how synthetic soccer fields are built and perform. The brand offers advanced, state-of-the-art synthetic turf systems with proprietary engineered technologies. A growing number of clubs, high schools, colleges, professional sports teams and municipalities continue to select AstroTurf’s LigaTurf-branded products for their premium quality, technical superiority, and safety. To learn more, visit the company’s recently redesigned website, www.astroturf.com/soccer. - See more at: https://ussoccerfoundation.org/article/astroturf-partners-with-the-u.s.-soccer-foundation-as-a-national-partner-for-field-building-program#sthash.FL8E8bAM.dpuf
CHA Sports, the Foundation's Supplier for Soccer Facility Design and Planning Services, provides community partners with expertise in soccer facility design. CHA Sport's full service approach allows the company to build world-class projects without breaking budgets. For more information, please visit chacompanies.com.
Hunter Industries, the Foundation's National Partner for Irrigation Equipment, is one of the world's leading manufacturers of irrigation equipment for turf, landscape and soccer fields. Hunter Industries' focus is on landscape irrigation with a significant part of its business centering on the proper care and maintenance of sports turf. For more information, please visit hunterindustries.com. Please contact Lynda Wightman, 406-273-3073, email@example.com with any questions regarding the U.S. Soccer Foundation's grants program.
Kwik Goal, the Foundation’s Official Supplier for goals, seating, boundary equipment, training equipment and coaching accessories, will be supporting a variety of Foundation programs and initiatives including: Soccer for Success, National Training and the Safe Places to Play program. Over thirty years ago, Kwik Goal was founded on the revolutionary concept of providing transportable goals for coaches at all age levels. Since that time, Kwik Goal has continued to focus on helping coaches and soccer programs create safe and dynamic learning environments by supplying high quality, safety tested soccer goals, field equipment and training equipment to the domestic and international market. For more information, please visit Kwikgoal.com.
Musco Lighting, the Foundation's National Partner for Sports Lighting, has specialized in the design and manufacture of athletic field lighting for over 35 years. Musco’s newest innovation, Light-Structure GreenTM, offers significant advantages for your budget and the environment — operating costs are cut in half, spill light is reduced by 50%, and 100% of your maintenance costs are covered for 25 years. To request your free copy of Sports Lighting: Answers to 7 Common Questions, please visit www.musco.com. Please contact Mike Shindler at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the U.S. Soccer Foundation's grants program.
NIKE, Inc., the U.S. Soccer Foundation’s National Partner for Athletic Apparel, supports the Foundation and its programs by providing Nike apparel to kids in underserved communities. Nike believes in the power of sport to unlock human potential and is committed to providing access to sport and physical activity for kids to help set them up for success for life. For more information, please visit http://about.nike.com/pages/community-impact.
SCORE Sports, the preferred provider of shin guards to the Foundation’s Soccer for Success program, is a family-owned and operated business specializing in sports equipment, uniforms and apparel. SCORE is an industry leader and has been involved in the sports community for over 40 years. SCORE outfits athletes with high-quality uniforms that SCORE develops, designs and manufactures in the U.S. SCORE takes pride in working with various non-profit groups and causes to give back to athletes who may need some extra support to play the game they love. SCORE is environmentally cautious with the materials it uses for its products and does its part in minimizing our environmental footprint. SCORE proudly offers a wide variety of products to provide customers with a one-stop shop for all your soccer needs. For more information, please visit scoresports.com.
Soccer.com, the Foundation's National Partner for Soccer Equipment and Uniforms, was founded in 1984 to provide high quality soccer gear at reasonable prices through its nationally circulated catalog. Soccer.com embodies a passion for the game that extends to the people who play, coach and support soccer. For more information, please visit soccer.com.
Sport Court®, the Foundation's Supplier for Futsal Surfaces, has been the industry leader in modular athletic flooring for over 30 years. With more than 50,000 installations worldwide, and the largest and most experienced network of authorized dealers, Sport Court® delivers innovative, durable, high-performance solutions for a variety of sports and activities. For more information, please visit sportcourt.com. Please contact Joel McCausland at email@example.com for any questions regarding the U.S. Soccer Foundation's grants program.
World Soccer Shop
Launched in 2001, World Soccer Shop is an online soccer retailer based in Birmingham, Alabama. It carries one of the world’s widest selections of officially-licensed products from the sport’s top brands and teams. World Soccer Shop is passionate about soccer and endeavors to spread the beautiful game around the world, especially to those in areas of need. For more information, please visit www.worldsoccershop.com.